Saturday, April 30, 2011

dancing under the stars

Dancing Under the Stars


Saturday, the night we returned from the Azores adventure, was show time for me. A week’s rehearsals completed, the 18 guests who remained from our original 28 dancers, were ready for the show. We’d been rehearsing all week in an empty lounge to the music recorded on our choreographer’s (Matt) Apple computer. But at 10 PM when we assembled in the Sky Lounge for a final get together, 200 people were already there dancing to the live band. Trust me, there is a big difference between rehearsals in quiet private and a rocking, rolling dance floor with couples jumping and jiving to a live band. We were not quite ready, but at 10:30 the lights were on us and we tapped and shimmied and went Bananas (a featured song).

All my fears of not remembering the steps came true. I was going left when others were going right. I shimmied when they kicked. But, my faithful friends who had stayed awake late to cheer me on, assured me that they couldn’t tell I was out of step because the 18 dancers had about 18 different steps going simultaneously. Just goes to prove that learning to count to eight is not sufficient if you want to dance with the stars. I have new respect for all of those dancers we see on TV and in the movies, especially for Ginger Rogers who danced backwards in high heels.


Stu and Adrienne

No comments:

Post a Comment